Support For Affected Families


Sharees Card

Sharee is very lucky to still have her business – it is located directly behind the Dunalley Bakery which was destroyed by the fire.

The wonderful, skilled people at Endlesswaves Hairdressing would like to donate a hair trim to any student attending Dunalley Primary School in 2013.

For all other hair services, they will donate 10% of the cost to Dunalley School Association.

Thank you to Keune Australia for assisting with donations of hair products.

For hairdressing appointments, please contact Sharee Mills on 6253 5511.

This offer is open until end of Term 1.


Financial assistance for people and families affected by the bushfires

Please read carefully to reviews the various assistance grants currently in action… or click here for complete details.

Immediate cash assistance

If you are affected by the bushfires and have immediate needs you can seek immediate cash assistance of $200 per adult, $100 per child, and up to a maximum of $750 per family.

You can seek immediate cash assistance in person at community refuge centres in bushfire-affected areas:

Community Fire Recovery Centres have been established at:

  • Sorell Memorial Hall, 47 Cole Street, Sorell
  • Dunalley Hotel, Arthur Highway, Dunalley

For people who are unable to access these locations, call Children and Youth Services South on 62307650

This support is administered by the Tasmanian Department of Health and Human Services.

Australian Government Disaster Recovery Payments

The Australian Government Disaster Recovery Payment (AGDRP) is available to assist people who have been adversely affected by bushfires that began on 3 January 2013 in south-east and east Tasmania. Payments of $1,000 per eligible adult and $400 per eligible child are available.

For more information call 180 22 66 (between 8am and 8pm) or visit

This support is administered by the Australian Government. You can find more information at

Customer service staff are primarily deployed to handle claims and enquiries for the Australian Government Disaster Recovery Payment (AGDRP).

They can provide some limited assistance and redirection of other DHS – Centrelink related matters and are located at:

  • Barrack Street Service Centre – 30-38 Barrack Street, Hobart. 8.30am to 4.30pm (Monday-Friday)
  • Sorell Recovery Centre – Sorell Memorial Hall at 47 Cole Street, Sorell. 9am to 6pm
    The Sorell recovery centre will remain open until Friday 18 January.
  • Sorell DHS Service Centre – Shop 3, 5 Fitzroy Street, Sorell. 9am to 4pm (Monday to Friday)
  • Mobile Services Unit – Next to Dunalley Hotel, 210 Arthur Highway, Dunalley. 10am to 4pm.
  • Nubeena – Nubeena Civic Centre at Main Road, Nubeena. 11am to 4pm.
  • Ellendale – General Store and postal agency, Ellendale Road, Ellendale. 10am to 4pm.

Housing assistance grants

If you are affected by the bushfires you can access housing assistance grants. You must register your interest by calling 1800 808 340 (between 9am and 5pm, Mon – Fri).

These grants will be means-tested based on income, assets, age, residential and residential insurance status in line with eligibility for the Private Rental Assistance Scheme.

The following will be available:

  • temporary living grants of up to $8 875 (over a maximum period of 6 months) to assist with living expenses;
  • essential household goods grants of up to $5 600 per household (plus $500 per additional household member up to a maximum of $8 875) for costs not covered by insurance, to assist with the replacement of essential household items; and
  • repair/replacement grants of up to $8 875 to assist with the reestablishment of the principal place of residence.

The housing assistance grants will be administered by the Tasmanian Department of Health and Human Services.

NOTE: These grants are not for emergency housing. For information on emergency housing please call the same number and ask about emergency housing.

Aurora Energy Assistance

Aurora Energy has announced a package of measures to help customers across Tasmania who have been affected by the bushfire emergency.

Residential and business customers whose properties have been destroyed will receive the following assistance:

  • remove any outstanding customer debt on Aurora accounts associated with the property destroyed;
  • an automatic Guaranteed Service Level (GSL) payment of $160 per customer; and
  • contribution of up to $500 towards any future electricity connection costs for installations associated with properties that are rebuilt.

As well, Pay-As-You-Go customers who lost their properties in the fires will have all their pre-existing prepayment credit returned to them.

Residential and business customers who have lost electricity supply for an extended period in bushfire impacted areas and are eligible for a GSL payment will receive:

  • an automatic credit of $100 on their electricity account to offset any fixed daily charges; and
  • an automatic Guaranteed Service Level (GSL) payment of $160 per customer.

These payments will automatically appear on customers’ next accounts. Where it does not appear on the next account, it will appear on the following account.

If customers wish to contact Aurora to register their eligibility for this relief they can call Aurora’s dedicated Bushfire Relief Hotline on 1300 132 006 (between 9am and 5pm, Mon – Fri) or complete a form on Aurora’s website

Aurora staff will also be available in Dunalley providing face-to-face information to customers on electricity-related issues at a mobile Customer Information Kiosk, especially commissioned for the relief effort.

In addition, Aurora has suspended the issuing of bills in the bushfire affected areas for the next two weeks.

Can my bank help?

Individual banks have announced assistance packages to help families, business people, farmers and individuals in the communities affected by bushfires.

The banks’ emergency packages provide practical help by giving immediate financial relief to those in most need of assistance. If someone’s home, income or business has been affected by the fires, they should contact their bank as soon as they are able to.

The best way to contact your bank is to speak to your relationship manager or call your bank’s dedicated support number. These numbers can be found on the ABA website or at along with additional information to assist people that might be experiencing financial difficulty.

Australian Government Mobile Service Unit bus

The Department of Human Services has arranged for the Mobile Service Unit bus to be located at
Dunalley, they have four staff on hand and will be at Dunalley for the time being.

The Mobile Service Unit can provide Centrelink customers with information relating to their Income Support Payments and other general enquiries and help with claims for the Australian Government Disaster Recovery Payment.

The Mobile Service Unit has a social work staff member available for people wanting to talk about their experiences in relation to the impact on them from the bush fires.

Special arrangements for affected taxpayers – Land Tax

The Commissioner of State Revenue has extended the time to pay Land Tax bills by three months to assist people suffering personal and financial loss from the bushfires.

Taxpayers with billing addresses between and including postcodes 7173 and 7180 do not have to do anything; the extension of time (to Friday 5 April 2013) will be applied automatically.

People with billing addresses outside of the 7173 and 7180 postcodes who have land tax to pay on property lost or damaged in any fire-affected areas of Tasmania should contact the State Revenue Office to access the extension.

For more information and assistance, please phone the State Revenue Office: (03) 6233 8070, Monday to Friday, 9am to 4pm.

Tasman Council Information Booth available in Murdunna

Tasman Council officers will be available to offer Council support regarding financial assistance, planning and enquiries.

Any queries can be directed to the Council on (03) 6250 9200.

I have received a payment by cheque – where can I cash it?

They can be cashed at any bank or credit union branch.

The Commonwealth Bank have staff at the Dunalley Pub and also at the Nubeena Recovery Centre – they are cashing the Westpac Emergency Payment cheques given out by the Commonwealth Government.

The Commonwealth Bank also have hardship staff available for customers who are struggling with loan repayments to discuss options.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s